Thursday 15 February 2007

Good day, bad memory

It had to be done. Well actually it didn't really.I have been meaning to get to IKEA for a few weeks now. Toy storage is out of control again. We've thrifted and it's still a problem. It isn't that the volume of toys has really grown, it's more that we need something to cope with the variety of toys as well as the sheer volume.

Anyway we found something to tide us over until things need another rework.I sold the idea of a trip to hell (my little nickname for IKEA) to the kids. I wish I could remember how I did it or even why I did it.

It's a hideous place to go at the weekend, I'm normally too busy on my non work days, I really can't face going in the evening and chances of Dave going are very, very low.So in lieu of the above unattractive opportunities, I end up going in half term. What was I thinking? The M25 queues confirmed I was out of my mind.

It wasn't too bad. Kiddiwinks were quite well behaved. I'm sure they really annoyed a lot of people in the restaurant (that's a misnomer) queue. They found queueing really difficult. I wasn't too critical because I hate queuing too. I think I just made it look like they were being disciplined and made them apologise when they bumped into people.

They were so well behaved over lunch that a lady at the next table asked if I was a teacher. But this brought back a memory.

When Ethan was a baby I took a trip to IKEA. I can't remember why I went but it was similar circumstances, trying to avoid a weekend or evening trip. I think I wanted bedroom furniture for Hannah.

Ethan cried the whole way round the store. I was trying to carry things, push a trolley and carry Ethan, because whenever I put him down, he yelled. He just yelled a little less when I held him.

It's not easy to do IKEA in a hurry, and even less so when forced to take breaks to feed and change a baby. I think I was determined to go through with the trip and buy what I needed. I wanted everything to be as normal as possible, even stopping half way round for a coffee (with a screaming baby).

My stress levels were very high and I was close to tears. After going through the checkout with him still yelling I just burst into tears. I had had enough. I was mentally spent and I couldn't bear the sound of the crying anymore.

A very kind lady helped me to my car and I went back home. I just remember feeling completely useless, and so grateful to this stranger for giving me a little piece of emotional and physical support.

It was very different today. No tears, and no thoughts of tears.

1 comment:

Ann Cardus said...

RNB


Hell-o! (If) all shopping is somewhat like hell, then Ikea is the ultimate hell.

If you have a particular thing to buy, something "similar" will be for sale in a normal department store or on the internet, why does anyone choose a destination that would "force" you to go round the store along the most preposterous convoluted predetermined lines then trap you at the checkout?

Of course you can't "do" Ikea in a hurry, the whole thing is deliberately designed to entice you, engulf you, intimidate you, catch you, you get the picture... (I don't think I'm too paranoid here)

No, seriously, interesting post, but I'd rather go to Hell than go to Ikea!




Posted by RNB On Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 11:20 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Ann


Well it actually makes little difference. IKEA vs shopping centre. Both - yuk! Both, I try to avoid.

But you see there is a secret part of me that likes browsing. It's just unfortunate that this is incompatible with children in tow.

Anyway my general rule is that if you can't buy it within (reasonable) walking distance of the house, it's not worth bothering. But then again, rules are made to be broken.

And of course the advantage of an IKEA purchase is all the fun back at base assembling it. I'm two thirds the way through and haven't had any murderous thoughts....yet.


Posted by Ann On Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 11:50 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]