Wednesday 14 February 2007

I'm an expert, me.

I am an expert in the field of advertising. And I would guess you are too. Most consumers are.

Diet Coke ad - lift scene. Discuss.

This ad clearly targets women. But they have got it sooooooo wrong.

Women, and I know this is a generality but it is also a truth universally acknowledged, women, are clever and manipulative creatures.

A brief recap of the ad so you know what I'm talking about.

Three office girls get into a lift with cans of Diet Coke. They press the alarm bell and an allegedly good looking lift engineer drops, James Bond style, through the top of the lift. Girls then leave the lift with filthy smirks on their collective faces. The engineer is left looking a little bemused.

Now I may not have captured this exactly. Allegedly good looking man may be considered good looking by the exact target audience but he does nothing for me. Girls may not have filthy smirks but that's how I interpret their expressions. Lift engineer may not be bemused but that's my deduction.

Anyway the implication is that the girls do this so they can gawp at the fit body of 'their rescuer'. And now to my damning criticism of this creative execution.

Women do not collaborate when it comes to the opposite sex! It's tough being a single girl. If a woman has a man in her sights then, in the competitive dating environment, she will create opportunities to be alone with her target. She will not invite her friends, especially when she knows they also find him attractive. Women understand the phrase 'eliminate the competition'.

So, in summary, Diet Coke have not understood their target. In fact the commercial looks to pander more to male fantasy than to female fantasy.

They have got it very, very wrong.Unless of course you disagree. In which case I would like your discussion paper on my desk by close of play on Friday.

1 comment:

Ann Cardus said...

Darryl


I wouldn't dream of challenging your analysis of the female mind; it is well known that most men don't understand women, like most women don't understand men (completely), also that many women don't understand other women! But I digress...

Does your assertion about the makers of this advert assume that it was a mostly male team that came up with the idea? That may be true, but these days there are a lot more women in advertising jobs, maybe even more than men? That's not to say that they have their target audience understood either, of course.

Could it be that they are making more of the female instinct of socializing with other women and having a laugh, than actually trying to 'capture' the fantasy man? A case in point is the other Diet Coke advert. Wasn't the 'original' "Diet Coke Break" advert just about the group of office women ogling the workman taking his shirt off outside? So they were all just enjoying the 'view', rather than really wanting to shatter the illusion of what he might be like and entering into any kind of relationship with the guy.

One theory of mine is that, as you say, perhaps this approach is equally aimed at the male and female markets, albeit in different ways.

All that said, in my opinion, this is the best parody of all those adverts...

http://www.youtube.com/v/OamCMo-rtRA


Posted by Darryl On Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 9:31 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Ann


Interesting thought (and great spoof).

I think first ad did work as girls having a good time. But the man in the first ad wasn't accessible. He was outside of the building and the women viewed him as some entertainment, something to brighten their day. He was just doing his job.

This last ad is different because the man is accessible.

I agree that for a bit of fun women will collaborate, but this is getting an (attractive ish) man alone in a private space. I can imagine the first scenario, not the second. It would just be too weird for three women to trap a guy. Too away from reality.

I can, however, imagine one woman, who fancies the lift engineer, deliberately creating the trapped man scenario. Mmm, what does that say about my character?


Posted by Ann On Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Darryl


I couldn't possibly comment on your character!!!

You have me at a disadvantage though, because I've not seen the latest advert. Must keep an eye out for that one.


Posted by Darryl On Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 12:20 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Barbara

I think the first ad worked because it was an obvious parody of the usual "builders whistling and yelling at a woman" cliche.

I haven't seen the latest ad but it sounds more like the typical male fantasy cliche of "lots of women throwing themselves at a man" ...I don't think I know any woman who would share a bloke!!!

So yes, they have got it wrong!


Posted by Barbara On Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 8:17 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Ann

That's what I meant. You put it so much better. :)

Posted by Ann On Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 8:36 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Barbara

Nooo... you put it perfectly marvellously!

I just saw the ad from the link you posted (thank you!) and I do believe you're right about being wrong; it's not aimed at women at all!

Posted by Barbara On Friday, February 16, 2007 at 10:16 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]