Wednesday 21 February 2007

Good idea, or get back to work?

I had an e-mail interaction today where it was very clear that I didn't have a clue what I was talking about. And it set me off on a train of thought. I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't have a clue about loads of things they are asked about at work. (Or maybe I am - ooops, don't tell anyone.)

I recently set up a blog for work to keep anyone who's interested (nobody, judging by the glazed looks people wore at the team mtg) up to date with progress on a project. And I thought I could set up another one. The idea for this new blog would be to use it as a sort of confessional.

Now, I'm not a Catholic and I don't envisage it being used to share sins, although actually that could make it really interesting to read. This new blog would be titled "Things I don't know" where people can share the stuff they're asked about where they have no clue.


OK, now I've had the sin confessional thought I think the blog should be used for sins too. This way people would want to read it. So whilst they're reading about people's sins and also what people don't know they can comment on the blog to forgive the sins and offer advice on the work stuff.

Good idea or should I just get back to work?

1 comment:

Ann Cardus said...

Karen


Church and confession in the same month... are you sure you aren't religious??

I'm not sure a blog to talk about progress is really the correct forum, but it could be interesting especially if you made it available to the great unwashed, then they could comment.. Otherwise it could just be an internal gimic - kinda cooler than using Word to record progress - sorry..

re : confessional - good idea but i'd like to be anonymous, the priest doesn't know who you are and nor should the blogging priest..


Posted by Karen On Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 10:38 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Ann


Well I never was one for distributing Word docs and I know people can never be bothered to read them. Blogs are beautifully informal and ad hoc. And the great unwashed can read it.

If one discriminates against the unhygenic does that make one an hygenist?

Well if everyone shares the same blog userid and password within a department then it is perfectly anonymous.


Posted by Ann On Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 10:55 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Darryl


The "work blog" thing is a good idea, but what was done at one company that I worked at was on an Intranet. Is that what you mean? In the safety of a company's own Intranet, sensitive info is less likely to get out.

Your confessional blog is a good idea too. I think you touched on something like this before. Last time it sounded like you wanted somewhere to talk about stuff/anything without feeling guilty - always a great thing. Am I right that this time you are more interested in being the cyber agony aunt yourself?

Either way, sounds like fun, but will you do it?


Posted by Darryl On Wednesday, February 21, 2007 at 11:00 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Ann


Well the intranet would be a good idea if it were just people in the company that I want to view this, but I want agency partners to be able to view it too. And frankly there's nothing confidential in there.

Ref the confessional I'd probably contribute confessions and agony aunt absolution and I'd get my nosey fix by reading other people's contributions. So win, win, win.


Posted by Ann On Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 9:31 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]