Tuesday 13 February 2007

Please sir...

I needed to be at the airport today for 6:20am.

This means I needed to set an early alarm.This means I had to have a completely disrupted and useless nights sleep.

Why did my body have to self wake every half hour just to check I hadn't overslept? My alarm clock is reliable and I've never missed a flight in my life (although the honeymoon was a close run thing).

What is it about needing to wake up before the normal alarm time that sends bodies into an irritating, debilitating feedback loop?

I've checked and I'm not the only sufferer. Other people have the same body issue.

It doesn't matter whether it's a flight, deciding that it's essential to bake a cake at 5:00am, being picked up by someone to get to an early meeting or anything really that requires an extra early start - the body doesn't trust two things: the alarm clock and it's own ability to hear and respond to the wake up call.

This is why business travel is horrible. After a long day I am more shattered than I should be. I should just be exhausted and in need of an early night but instead I'm completely devoid of energy and need a week off to recover. Slight exaggeration, but do you think the boss will believe me?

1 comment:

Ann Cardus said...

RNB


It's not just me then? I thought I had some unique super-psychic ability, whenever I need to get up early for something, these miraculous internal spirits also miraculously wake me up well before the earlier alarm time. Well that's what usually happens anyway - once or twice I must have upset the demons and they have overslept with me


Posted by RNB On Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 9:26 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Ann

No not just you. And when the demons oversleep with you it's because you've been overworking them. :)

Posted by Ann On Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 9:29 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Jane


Yes, I also check the clock every 1/2 hr until the alarm finally sounds, but.... once the alarm has finally gone off I have this fantastic ability to have 2 more mins in bed, that turns into a massive panic when I realise my body has finally relaxed and gone into a deep sleep and I am then running extremely late !!!


Posted by Jane On Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 10:37 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]