Wednesday 26 September 2007

Virtue

We were talking today about the shocking behaviour of mothers who live 20 yards from the school and still choose to get in their cars, or more likely 4x4s.

Well we don't live 2o yards away, but the school is just a couple of streets away, and so is the nursery. When I was on maternity leave I usually walked to nursery but things have changed now I'm back at work.

In the morning we drive our children to school and nursery en route to work and pick them up on the way back from work. On days when I don't work, we always walk (rain, snow, sleet - always).

Anyway the conversation made me feel guilty so I finished work a little bit earlier than normal today so decided to walk. It was chilly but the sun was shining.

I was feeling virtuous. I collected Hannah and we started to walk to nursery. Hannah loved walking, although actually she skipped most of the way. I thought it was lovely that when she's happy she skips rather than walks. How fantastic to have that much energy and enthusiasm towards the end of the day.

We reached nursery and Ethan was delighted to see us. He always runs up to me and leaps at me when I pick him up. I have to be ready to catch him otherwise I get knocked over.

After getting our happy, smiley boy ready with his coat on we prepared to walk home. And realised it was chucking it down. And I wasn't wearing a coat, or jacket and I didn't have an umbrella.

The children did not look happy about the prospect of a wet walk home. I called Dave thinking he might be on his way home and perhaps he could divert to pick us up. He hadn't left the office, so we braved it.

I got soaked. And instead of feeling virtuous, I felt cold and miserable when I got home.

No comments: