Sunday 30 September 2007

Poor parenting

I'm not very good at taking criticism, especially regarding my parenting skills.

This is not through some overblown notion that I'm perfect, far from it. I know I have many flaws and my problem is when the criticism touches a nerve and I recognise the truth therein.

I'll give you the latest incident that came in for criticism.

Hannah has a tiara, bought on Saturday, to wear at her uncle's wedding in a months time.

She wanted to show off her tiara for visitors who popped in today. Just before they knocked on the door she refused to put the tiara on.

I said that if she wasn't prepared to wear the tiara for our guests then I would have to assume she wouldn't be prepared to wear it in front of everyone at the wedding, so I might as well take it back to the shop.

She put the tiara on her head, it was admired and it isn't going back to the shop as a result.

Apparently this approach will make Hannah feel she must always please me and put her in fear of me. She will go through life worrying "what will my mother think?"

There is some truth in this and this is what is making me feel inadequate, useless, pathetic and sorry for my children for having to put up with such a poor mother.

No comments: