Monday 24 September 2007

Women are from Venus

As a women I am able to claim the ability to multitask. Similarly I can claim to lack a highly developed spatial awareness, something that is usually more of an inherent male ability.

These are things that are generally acknowledged by both men and women. I'm not entirely convinced.

Today, as I drove into the station car park, I was listening to the radio and I was also thinking about stuff, also known as daydreaming.

There were quite a few spaces, but the one I had my eye on was at the end of the row. I normally like to reverse into a parking spaces because it makes for a quick getaway and it's also something that I was taught on a driving course. In order to reverse into this space I needed to turn the car around and then reverse.

The space between the lines of cars made a three point turn impossible so I needed to use another parking space to make the turn possible.

Let's just check what's going on in my head right now. The radio is still on, I'm still thinking about stuff, I'm doing mental manipulation of 3D objects to work out this parking manoeuvre and I'm also driving the car.

I reversed out of my turning space when "crunch" happened. I had reversed into a 4x4.

I got out and checked for damage and there was none on either vehicle, so I got back in, and to hide my embarrassment I just parked, nose in, in the space I had intended to use for turning.

I was embarrassed because the parking distance sensors had been working, I just hadn't processed the noise.

So I managed to demonstrate my lack of spatial awareness, but I also managed to show complete inability to multitask.

No comments: