Sunday 29 June 2008

Rotating video

Today was Hannah's party. Twenty two children in the end, lots of laughing and not too many tears. On the whole I'd say it was a success.

We followed some of the format from last year but with one or two new twists. I'm sure you're not interested in the details so let me get to the point.

We did the old familar newspaper fashion parade. This year I wanted a better video than last year so, instead of relying on a friend's mobile phone footage, I used our digital camera. I could have used the video camera but it's six years old and uses tape and I never felt I could rely on it ever since it chewed a tape.

I captured the whole fashion parade but there was one small problem. I had used the camera in portrait mode. It's an easy mistake to make. Dave's entire footage of Hannah, aged 6 months, opening Christmas presents can only be viewed if one tilts ones head at 90 degrees.

I had promised everyone I'd load this onto YouTube so was determined to find a fix. For those of you who have made the same mistake, here's the fix that worked for me:

"If you're using Microsoft Windows XP, the built it Windows Movie Maker software can do it. Import the clip, then on the left panel, edit movie, effects, and on the middle panel search the rotations, then export the movie in your prefered format / codec / size."

Thanks to D Triana in Bogota Columbia for this one.

Here's the correctly oriented video.

No comments: