Monday, 23 June 2008

The thing about driving licences

If you look at part two of the average driving licence you will, at a quick glance, notice three letters that denote the class of vehicles that one can drive.

The letters that you will see are: A, G, H.

The codes are deciphered thus, on the DVLA website:

A - Motorcycles up to 25kW(33bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. Motorcycle combination with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg and any size motorcycle with or without a sidecar

G - Road rollers

H - Tracked vehicles

So, at a quick glance, it would appear that Dave is entitled to drive Motorbikes, Road rollers and Tanks. The code for Tractors is F.

When he told me which codes were on his licence and I read the meaning of the codes his face fell. It seemed the Tractor dream was dead. But then a question occurred.

"Where is the code for cars?" Ah, foiled. Bugger!

Dave re-examined his licence and it became apparent that the codes on part two of the driving licence are the vehicles one is entitled to drive on a provisional basis. The codes that refer to vehicles one is entitled to drive can be found on part one of the driving licence and, in Dave's case, that does include F.

Double bugger!

No comments: