Sunday 6 January 2008

Dead Pigeon Society

I mentioned a while ago that we had a pigeon issue.

Well we didn't like the pigeons nesting in the hoppers at the top of our drainpipes. I don't like pigeons and I really didn't like half mangled, half dead pigeon chicks.

We were planning to wait until the pigeons on both sides of the house vacated their respective nests. When they disappeared we intended to remove the nests and throw up some chicken wire to prevent recurrence next year. Well that was the plan until I had a chat with my mother-in-law. I am now aware that pigeons nest all year round. The buggers!

So this weekend Dave shinned up a ladder and cleared two nests which meant making two pigeon couples homeless. As Dave discovered in one nest, it also meant disposing of two eggs. Oops. But I don't like pigeons, and neither does Dave, so we didn't feel too guilty. And we have lots of nice trees in and around the garden so I'm sure they can make more baby pigeons (just hopefully in somebody else's garden).

No comments: