Wednesday 9 January 2008

So you think ...

Channel 5 started a series tonight with "So you think you can be a single parent?"

They've taken three celebrities and placed them with separate families where there is just one involved parent. During the programme the parent leaves their children in the care of the celebrity. All celebrities were chosen because they don't have children. The premise for the programme is "Let's see how the celebrities cope."

I know - another reality TV show. But how dumb is this one?

How many people actually think being a single parent is easy? Not many, I'll warrant. But also it doesn't seem fair to pick celebrities that don't have children. Of course they'll struggle, at least initially. If you put anyone into an environment where they have to demonstrate a skill they've never used or practised, then it will take a while before the skill can be demonstrated efficiently and with ease.

I watched the first show in which the celebrities were being inducted into their new, temporary roles. At this point the poor celebs (who I am sure are being paid to participate) showed some nervousness.

I also saw the trail for the next show, in which all celebrities were predictably crying "I can't do it anymore. I want to go home."

I think I know the way the next programmes will go. The celebs will struggle and find it tough. They'll get depressed by their failure. Then they'll turn a corner and by the end of the week of the experiment the children and celebs will be happy and the celebs will be saying it's tough but rewarding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking exactly the same when I saw the trailer for this programme - totally stupid. I never watched it as I didn't want to push up the viewing figures.
People are single parents for all kinds of reasons including bereavement. Hopefully it will signal the end of this moronic genre of television programming.

Anonymous said...

Is helicopter single?