Friday 25 January 2008

Very bad mother

You knew that today we were going out. Well not much of an outing granted but it was somewhere that would stop Ethan from playing directly with other children and where he could get out and I could spend some money.

IKEA is not for everyone. But that was our destination. I didn't plan on buying anything of consequence, just stuff.

We had a trolley containing most of our purchases and Ethan wanted a ride standing on the side of the trolley. Pushing the trolley straight on was difficult so I pushed it broadside. Ethan was having fun, wanting me to go faster, but I didn't. My caution was not repaid.

The trolley hit some uneven ground and tipped. I tried to prevent the trolley from falling but couldn't because it was pulling me over too.

Ethan landed on the floor and the trolley landed on top of him whilst whacking me severely on both shins.

Within minutes we were in the first aid room and Ethan was being examined for bruises. He said his bottom hurt so that's what I checked and there were no signs of damage. The IKEA man offered him ice cream and a doughnut which he declined. He was happy with Mummy's offer of a lolly. Meanwhile ice packs were applied to my shins.

I was shaking like a leaf and was still shaking as I drove home.

At bath time it was obvious Ethan had suffered more injury than he'd let on. When we were applying the anti-itch cream we could see that his right hip was bruised and swollen and he was wincing when we went near it.

After phoning the doctor out of hours service we were comfortable that it was just bruising.

Wasn't he suffering enough with the chickenpox and the trip to IKEA?