Tuesday 8 January 2008

Food for thought

So Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is on a mission to persuade the supermarket consumer to move their chicken buying from intensive to free range.

The argument is compelling.

I try to buy organic chicken. But I'm not sure I'm making a sensible choice. Apparently organic chicken has less nutritional value than other chicken. It's also a costly choice. A quick check on the Tesco website shows that organic breast fillets cost £15 per kilo, free range breast fillets £11 per kilo, intensively farmed breast fillets £8 per kilo and Value brand breast fillets (whatever the hell kind of production that is) are £6 per kilo.

So Hugh is trying persuade people to spend, in this example, between £3 and £5 more per kilo.

I think he might have persuaded me to save £4 per kilo. Thanks Hugh.

No comments: