Friday 2 March 2007

Rubber

Our post arrives no earlier than 12:30 on a weekday, and 10:30 on a Saturday.

So why do I habitually check for post whenever I go near the front door?

Anyway, on the subject of post....

Ok and I know you weren't even thinking about the post until I brought it up but I will carry on regardless.

Our Postie carries post seperated into bundles by red elastic bands. Having found discarded red elastic bands on numerous pavements around Brentwood I have an hypothesis that not only do all Postie's in Brentwood use red elastic bands, but so do Posties nationwide.

Now I know that there will be environmentalists that will object to the blatent disposal of these small pieces of rubber on our walkways, but I applaud this behaviour.

I have never bought an elastic band. Granted I don't often have a need for one, but when I do, I generally need just one and not the 500 or so that one can buy boxed in a stationers.

Whenever I've needed an elastic band, I've found one. So I now pick up the red elastic bands discarded by the Postman. And that gives me just about the amount of elastic bands I need.

It's recycling at its most perfect. So I encourage you - see an elastic band, pick it up. It beats stealing office supplies.

1 comment:

Ann Cardus said...

Barbara

I always check my mailbox on a Sunday... perhaps I think the postman might forget to deliver something and come back on his day off?

My Mum picks up the postman's discarded elastic bands, she now has around 500.

Posted by Barbara On Friday, March 02, 2007 at 8:25 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Ann

You see I think it's so strange when we get no mail, I actually think the Postie is throwing a sickie, or eating our mail.

Posted by Ann On Friday, March 02, 2007 at 8:36 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Barbara

Yes! And I get angry at my postie because he keeps delivering someone elses mail to my address. I suppose it's not his fault that someone doesn't seem to know where she lives... no, it's not someone who has moved; it's someone in the next building along. I used to take them around, now I just write rude messages on the envelopes and re-post them.

Posted by Barbara On Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 7:29 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Ann


Our Postie does this too although sometimes I think maybe it's another Postie doing holiday cover. If it's next door I redeliver. If it's somewhere else in the street, or neighbouring street, then I sling it back in the postbox.

I reserve my rude comments for unwanted junk mail. Well maybe not rude comments. I put unwanted junk mail back in the post box with the words "Return to sender. Deceased" on the envelope. I'm never sure it works though.

I have worked as a Postie and done night shifts in a Sorting Office. Oooh the tales I could tell....


Posted by Ann On Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 8:15 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]



Darryl


Blog, blog, blog!!!




Posted by Darryl On Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 9:33 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]